Lime and Elderberry Chicken Agrodolce
Agrodolce is the Italian version of sweet and sour sauce. It is a multi-purpose condiment and turns up regularly on fish, chicken, cheese plates, and charcuterie boards. In this version, we use the zesty blend of Lime Olive Oil and Elderberry Balsamic Vinegar over chicken thighs.
For the Agrodolce sauce
Combine all the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the thighs and turn to coat well. Cover and marinate about 2 hours.
For the agrodolce sauce
- Heat the Lime Olive Oil in a small skillet on low and sweat shallots with salt & pepper, about 3 minutes. Add golden raisins and cook another 2 minutes.
- Whisk together the Elderberry Balsamic Vinegar and the honey.
- Raise the heat to medium and add to the pan to deglaze and stir about a minute. Set aside.
To cook the thighs
- Heat 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil on medium heat in a pan large enough to accommodate all the chicken. Seasoning should be fine from the marinade, but add more salt & pepper if you like. Cook about 4 minutes per side.
- Deglaze with ½ cup chicken stock and allow that to reduce approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the agrodolce to the chicken and stir to coat well.
Serve over couscous, rice, or the grain of your choice. Garnish with chopped parsley and lime wedges.