Basil and Grapefruit Potato Salad - 2 Ways
The combination of Grapefruit Balsamic Vinegar and Basil Olive Oil tastes like Summer in your mouth. The two together are tempered and balanced, allowing the citrus to pull forward and complement the basil.
As it goes with potato salad, no 2 recipes are the same. That’s what makes them so fun! Add your favorite personal favorites for your signature recipe. We’ve done it 2 ways here with 2 totally different outcomes using basically the same ingredients. Hopefully you can see how easy it is to be creative and get a great outcome. For a party or larger group, double the Produce and then use half of it with the herb dressing and the other half the creamy dressing.
Ingredients - Produce
3 lbs Yukon or Red Potatoes (skin on cut in half, quartered or your favorite size)
2 celery stalks, diced
4-5 Hard Boiled Eggs, peeled, 4 chopped (slice 1 for garnish if desired)
½ Red Onion or 4 Green onions, finely diced
Ingredients for both Dressings
5 TBSP Grapefruit Balsamic Vinegar
¾ cup Basil Olive Oil
I TBSP Dijon Mustard
1 ½ tsp Savory Pepper Blend
1 tsp Garlic Himalayan Salt
Fresh Parsley, minced
Fresh Basil, minced
Preparation for Potatoes - Both Ways
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a lightly rolling boil over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork or paring knife. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, sprinkle them with 3 tablespoons of the Grapefruit Balsamic Vinegar to absorb the vinegar and let cool for about 15 minutes.
Preparation for No-Mayo Herbed Potato Salad Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic salt, and Savory Pepper and mix well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the potato mixture and gently toss. Use as much or as little of the dressing as you like. Add the sliced onion, celery, egg and minced herbs and toss again. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Keeps in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Preparation for Creamy Potato Salad DressingAdded ingredient of 3/4 cup Mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt.
Steps 1 & 2 above and
- Gently mash the potatoes, breaking them up into smaller pieces. This helps with the creaminess.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, garlic salt, and Savory Pepper and mix well until creamy.
- Using your judgement for creaminess, pour the dressing into the potato mixture and stir until it’s just right. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Slice the last egg into thin slices and place the slices on top of the salad. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight before serving.